Is it possible to do something you don't want to do?
Our actions reveal our desires, regardless of the words we may use to express desires which conflict with our actions. In other words, we always do what we ultimately want to do.
Working late? Changing a dirty diaper? Yardwork? Declining a friend's invitation to one thing or another because you already have a commitment to someone or something less enjoyable?
I can't think of any possible circumstance where a person's choice does not reflect what they ultimately want to do.
I am not claiming that all people are intrinsically hedonistic or excessively self-indulgent. On the contrary, often our choice is not the most "pleasant" or "enjoyable" or even beneficial. Ironically and for a variety of reasons, what we ultimately want to do may be, in a manner of speaking, selfless.
Friday, April 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
AMEN!
Welcome to Setting Boundaries 101
Thank you. I enjoyed reading your blog post from yesterday which referenced this. This little nugget of truth was one of the primary realizations which enabled me to start thinking more clearly about religion in general.
Post a Comment