Thursday, June 5, 2008

Smuggy Bear

I found record of a debate between Sam Harris and Rick Warren which was written up in Newsweek early last year. It appears to have been somewhat informal and conversational with a general topic of "who's right, christian or atheist?".

Sam Harris is the atheist, an author and neuroscientist. Rick Warren is the Christian pastor of a megachurch.

I don't know whether Harris was ever a Christian, but it appears from the write-up on this debate that while he may have "won" since he seems to be "right," he did not successfully read Warren throughout the conversation.

As I read this, I feel like I can hear Warren's thoughts before the words even come out of his mouth. I suppose it is because some of these things are just so fresh for me, the novice non-believer. I know the objections...and I sense the absolutely effortless knee-jerk smugness in Warren's every word. So frustrating. I wish I had been there or at least that Harris had someone at his side who could have pointed out Warren's angles.

Maybe that's arrogant of me to think that my personal experience could have assisted someone who is intellectually superior to me like Harris.

Here is the link to Newsweek for you:
http://www.newsweek.com/id/35784

No comments: