Friday, June 20, 2008

Answering the Answerer

In response to my "Presuppositional Apologetics" below, Karla the Answer Bearer writes, "Your claiming this method as being unfair. It would seem maybe it has credence, and you don't like it. I will say, I never enter these conversations to "win an argument." She goes on to write some other lovely comments that you should read. This post is my response for the general benefit of any readers who may share her perspective:

I do not claim that the presuppositional method of apologetics is unfair. I suggest that utilizing the method without disclosing intent is dishonest, and I suggest that the method may sometimes reveal arrogance and ignorance on the part of the one utilizing it.

Thank you for elaborating on your interest in conversation. I’m sure that as you endeavor to help others grow, you do in fact have warm-hearted intent. Believe me, this is all very fresh for me. I am very familiar with the desire to disarm someone who disagrees by couching an apology as simply conversational, and a longing for mutual benefit and growth.

You, like all people everywhere, believe that you are right…regardless of your openness to discuss and hear other viewpoints. And believing that you are right (which is not at all a bad thing), you intend for others to believe as you believe (again, not a bad thing, very natural). When you engage in an “interchange of beliefs,” you want to avoid hostility and the reduction of the discussion to “mere debate,” but ultimately this desire is aimed at bringing others to your point-of-view. So yes, you do want to “win the argument”, and make no mistake, just because you don’t want to use the term argument doesn’t mean that you are not making one. Presuppositional, classical evidential, etc. At the end of the day, you are putting forward a position in contrast to another position. And I am inclined to think that you are not at all ignorant of these things, since your blogger profile indicates your strong interest in apologetics.

I should remind everyone that I am not at all opposed to this very natural exchange of ideas. Let us all continue to “grow” and “see people” and “discuss” and “interchange” and avoid “hostility” and pursue “truth.” But also, let us be honest in the process.

And for the record, my post was written before I stumbled into your discussion with GodlessWoman. It was inspired by the blog of Peter Hitchens.

3 comments:

Karla said...

You are very well read. I must say I was not attempting any dishonesty. Though I see that your blog was written before you found my page. I did, however, write a blog on presuppositional appologetics and how it all works. So I definately wasn't hiding anything. I've never even heard of hiding it.

As I said, I don't attempt to win an argument, but I do attempt to provide more pieces to the puzzle. I want people to find truth, and if I can help with that, great. But even if I produce a convincing argument, that means nothing if the truth doesn't go beyond argument and meet the needs of a person's soul.

I didn't mean to imply that I would ever come to be an atheist by the interchagne of ideas for my belief in God is not rooted in argument, but in Him. It can be shown to be reasonable, but if in the end if someone agrees God exist and that doesn't change their life, it's all meaningless. Argument doesn't bring transformation to the soul. It only helps clear out some of the objections of the mind that need real answers before the soul can commit to the conclusion.

I am glad you are open to interchange. I don't expect you to trust my sincerity. You only know anything about me through an impersonal forum. Maybe in time, you'll see my heart through my words.

Karla said...

I'm sorry I don't see the blog on my site about presuppositional apologetics. I must have only posted it to my myspace. You can find it at www.myspace.com/trekin4jc I will post it to my site to correct that oversight.

Non Sicuro Pensatore said...

Karla, I am quite sure that you would never intend to deceive anyone and that you always endeavor to be sincere. This impersonal forum has not caused me to think the worst of you. I have posted an open letter on my blog which of course was inspired in part by these brief interactions with you. It is not strictly to you and does not strictly concern this conversation, which is why I felt it appropriate to post it in open letter format.