Monday, June 30, 2008

Exposing the Limitations

Please find time to read a humble and interesting article by Mark Vernon titled "How To Be Agnostic" (LINK) in which he points out that, "Socrates came to understand that the key to wisdom is not being able to prove beliefs, but understanding the extent of your ignorance. He was agnostic in not assenting to philosophical systems, and instead went around ancient Athens asking awkward questions. For him, the importance of reason was not that it could potentially understand all but that it exposed the limitations of all our understanding. Hence the word philosopher was invented for him; he was a lover of wisdom that is desired precisely because it is lacked."

2 comments:

Karla said...

Socrates sought wisdom. But for wisdom to be attained it must exist apart from our own subjective reasoning. Jesus is the ultimate Wisdom personified. Without God's wisdom, Socrates would have been wasting his time.

Anonymous said...

Karla, I don't actually get a lot of readers here, so for the most part, you are talking to me when you make comments like this. I wish I could somehow help you see that I know your thoughts before you type them in here. I was in your shoes a very short while ago. But statements like this one from you (while they sound nice and may help you feel better) are quite baseless fluff. Wisdom is not in any way dependent upon a god.