I am considering, when time permits, writing a brief treatment of why a Christian should not blame “religion” for an atheist’s or agnostic’s departure from the Christian faith. First of all, in my own story, I know that “religiosity” is not the problem. I know this because I’ve “been there and done that” with this line of evangelizing…"Christianity is about relationship not religion; it’s not about what church you go to or what rules you follow, it’s about your personal walk with Jesus.” Believe me, I really have been there and believed that sort of line and used that sort of line on others. I understand the point, completely.
But in the end, I can argue quite well from the Christian standpoint, that this angle is seriously flawed as an approach to “communicating the reality of Christ.”
Tuesday, July 1, 2008
Religiosity Not The Problem
Labels:
Agnosticism,
Anti-Religion?,
Apology,
Atheism,
Christianity,
Conversion
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Most atheist I've encountered are anti-religion more than anything else. Sam Harris, Dawkins, Dennett, etc.
Yes, but you use the word religion in two very different ways. Religion to which atheists and agnostics tend to be opposed is any sort of faith in and faithfulness toward a specific God.
Religion to which you are opposed is what you perceive to be the burden and drudgery of rules and organization which you believe distract from a "real relationship".
I beg your patience. I'll explain further when time permits.
I understand that atheist extend the use of the term Religion to any belief in God as well. However the contentions they have with the idea of God always are about religion whether they understand that to be the case or not.
You must not believe there is a relationship to be found in Christ which again means all you found in Christianity was religion.
p.s. no need to rush on responding. Take your time.
Karla, at present, you do not understand the point I am wanting to make. I will make it clearer soon.
Karla, please see new post titled "Theists Need Religion".
NSP
Tell me one thing, how do you have a relationship with Jesus after reading in Numbers 31 what he told Moses to do to the midianites??
John T, I'm afraid we have a misunderstanding. I do not have a relationship with God. Feel free to browse the blog a bit more.
lol oops..........that I will
Post a Comment