This is an excerpt from a recent email to my Dad:
It was roughly 10 years ago when I "got serious" about my Christian faith. During these 10 years, I have had varying degrees of doubt for various lengths of time about various related issues. But I was always pretty good at concealing all of that, and of course, I had bought the line that I should wrestle doubtful thoughts out of my head by praying more and reading the Bible or Christian books more.
But the doubts don't just quit, and over time, they have become more sophisticated and harder to avoid. And frankly, I recently realized that I'm not really wanting to avoid the doubts. I want to actually think through "issues", and maybe even have some sense of objectivity. I don't want to "condition" myself to only approach things from a Christian set of presuppositions. I want to feel like I'm being honest with myself.
I've recognized that faith is essentially a resolution to be certain about things which cannot be known with certainty. I no longer have that resolve.
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment