I am always pleased to find a prominent Christian preacher or prolific Christian writer who can't help paying attention to the so-called "New Atheism". I consider it flattery for the position of atheism when one of these folks feels the need to address the popular works of Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens, and Dennett. It is encouraging and even emboldening to see the thinly veiled fear among Christians that this "New Atheism" might actually take root and grow out of control if not rebutted. Interestingly, it seems that some may just be more interested in writing rebuttals for the sake of cashing in on Christian fear and interest, as it is nearly inevitable that a response book to a bestseller will sell enough to make a profit.
One concerned or ambitious Protestant Christian is Pastor Douglas Wilson of Christ Church in Moscow, Idaho. He has written several response books and engaged in debate with Hitchens. Here are some links to his site if you wish to be likewise encouraged and emboldened:
Why The Horse Isn't Dead
Can't Tell The Players Without a Scorecard
Also, I ran across a response book which seems to be popular in Catholic circles:
Greater Than You Think: A Theologian Answers the Atheists About God by Catholic priest Thomas Williams
"Father Williams offers an easy-to-use resource for building up one's own faith and igniting others'." - Amazon product description
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
some may just be more interested in writing rebuttals for the sake of cashing in on Christian fear and interest
I often feel that the dollar signs are flashing when a book like the 'God Delusion' is published. Look at "Dawkins' Delusion", "Irrational Atheist", etc. You are right, cashin' in on the fear~
Yes, if you click on the link above to "Why The Horse Isn't Dead", you'll see Pastor Wilson seem to almost come right out and admit it. Essentially saying, "The atheists have stirred up considerable interest and are making lots of money writing books, so we should write response books and get our hands on some of that market as well."
Ha! That's great. You want to know a little irony? I find some of the best atheist links via apologetic blogs. Such as via that link I learned that Dawkins has another book coming out. Apolgetics ftw!
DB, I could say Dawkins is only publishing his stuff for the money. I think we need to get beyond pettiness and really look at the issues. Maybe these responses are worth looking at? I pick up a Dawkins book or Harris book to see what they are saying.
Ravi Zacharias just wrote "End of Reason" I asked him about his book and he said he almost did not write it because he did not want to enter the market for such books, but he felt Harris "End of Faith" needed a response to the concerns and questions he raises by people of the worldview he levies his attacks against. So he wrote it.
non sicuro, I just made a post that may interest you on my blog re: unity.
Karla,
It is no petty conjecture to suppose that some Christian writers and pastors are basing their decisions to write response-books on the likely popularity and profit generated by the heat of the moment. Did you take time to read the link in my post called "Why The Horse Is Not Dead"?
I have read your post on unity and I do find it interesting, however you continue to argue against yourself unwittingly and I think that if I took the trouble to explain this to you, I would find myself again wasting time and energy.
Post a Comment